Authorization to supervise research (HDR)
Since 2019, all future supervisors who submit an application and intend to supervise a thesis (HDR or ADT) must follow a doctoral supervision training course, organized by the Graduate Research School.
Application for Authorization to supervise research (HDR):
Applicants wanting to obtain their HDR qualification must submit their request to register to the ED. Applications are examined according to the criteria defined in the internal regulations of each doctoral school and passed on to the Academic Council (CAc) for their opinion.
Once authorization to register for the HDR is obtained, this is equivalent to obtaining the ADT and entitles the candidate to supervise one PhD student at 100% or 2 at 50% until their thesis defense.
HDR candidates whose registration has been authorized by the CAc have 2 years to defend their HDR. After this time, if they have not defended their HDR they must submit a new application for authorization to the doctoral school.
Applications to register for the HDR can only be submitted to one institution during the same academic year. Candidates who have already registered for this diploma at another institution must inform the University.
Candidates requesting authorization to register for the HDR must submit an application which includes:
- Summary of scientific work, giving qualifications, education and major publications (at least 10 major publications):
Form summary activity HDR (118.50 Ko, doc)
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Copy of the diploma entitling candidate to apply for the HDR (PhD);
- List of publications (to be referenced in accordance with the recommendations of the candidate’s CNU section);
referencing format (23.33 Ko, docx)
- Motivation letter addressed to the President of the University of Bordeaux;
- Supporting letter from a guarantor (professor or research director) internal to the University of Bordeaux, giving a 2- to 3-page reasoned opinion of the quality of the application. This guarantor must not be the thesis supervisor.
These 6 documents must be numbered and presented in this order. Any other document will be rejected.
The application should be sent electronically (format pdf) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The EDSP2 will appoint a reviewer who may be internal or external to the University.
The application (and the reviewer’s report) will be put before the Doctoral School Council for their verdict, then if approved it will be sent to the Graduate Research School, which will submit it to the University of Bordeaux Academic Council.
Warning: You must agree to register for the “Doctoral student supervision” training course.
Course schedule: https://ed-sp2.u-bordeaux.fr/en/Supervisors/Training-for-supervisors
To find out more about the defense procedure for the HDR.
EDSP2 - Bâtiment G
3 ter Place de la Victoire
Contacter par courriel